Blanc double de Coubert Rugosa, recurrent; Cochet-Cochet, 1892.
White; fragrant. Wayside, 2004.
ROSERAIE de l’HAŸ Rugosa, recurrent; Gravereaux, 1910.
Crimson purple; fragrant. Wayside, 2004.
If any rose could mark the explosive development of rose culture in the 19th century, this is it. The term “roseraie” means simply “rose garden”, but with heightened connotations of a display garden of some distinction. The term “l’Haÿ is the original name of a town about 8 km south of Paris, where in 1892 Jules Gravereaux acquired a large piece of land that he devoted to growing his collection of roses. He was assisted by horticulturists and particularly by the landscape architect Edouard André (1840-1911), who designed the garden. The result was an incomparable roseraie, the first of its kind, which today is “the world’s oldest existing garden devoted exclusively to roses.” It was recognized by the World Federation of Rose Societies with their Award of Merit.
Gravereaux’s intention originally was to assemble the greatest possible number of rose varieties so as to study and cultivate them. Botanists and horticulturists assisted him in formalizing descriptive terms of roses and establishing the classification of the genus Rosa; he also created a number of commercial hybrids, of which ROSERAIE de l’HAŸ is one. Gravereaux’s first catalog, in 1900, listed 3000 varieties cultivated at l’Haÿ; the second listed 7000 varieties.
In 1910, the town of l’Haÿ recognized the importance of this world-renown garden by formally changing its name to l’Haÿ-les-Roses, in the Val-de-Marne district.